About This Project
By helping one client solve a solvent problem, we also helped them make a positive impact on the environment.
A major client was bringing in an average of 22 barrels of new solvent per month, at a cost of (at that time) $800 per barrel, while also paying to dispose of used solvent.
The challenge was to reduce incoming shipments by finding a way to recycle the solvent they already had.
The Kroeschell solution was to install a new, state-of-the-art solvent still. The still heats the used solvent in a vacuum (utilizing steam that comes from the company’s generators) which results in a return of three-quarters of clean solvent to one-quarter sludge.
This recycling effort produced the following positive effects:
- The company only purchases new barrels of solvent when necessary to keep up with production demands.
- The company has saved on average $300,000 per year.
- The solvent still paid for itself in nine months.
- The amount of material to be disposed of dropped dramatically (as did costs).
- A smart business decision also became a smart environmental decision.
Since the installation of the still the company:
- Has realized over $1,500,000 in cost savings.
- Have cut their use of new solvent.
- Have slashed their need to dispose of used solvent.
Our customer is a Fortune 50 company and leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. With more than $89 billion in assets, our customer is ranked number one in its industry.