About This Project
A Kroeschell client was shipping 1,700,000 gallons of waste coolant off-site for treatment and disposal. In efforts to lessen their environmental impact and increase efficiency, Kroeschell developed and implemented a system that cut costs through recycling.
Our client was paying over $300,000 per year to dispose of 1,700,000 gallons of waste coolant. The waste had a high biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) and the facility was unable to treat the material in its on-site treatment plant.
The challenge Kroeschell faced was to identify technology to eliminate or lessen the need for shipping the waste coolant for disposal.
Through research, Kroeschell discovered a unique piece of equipment – a Mechanical Vapor Recompression Evaporator or MVRE – that had proven effective in the pre-treating of waste coolant. At the time, this was only one of four machines in operation in the country and the first in a factory environment. Kroeschell provided all aspects of Engineering & Design, purchase, installation and operation of the MVRE.
After installing the system, our client was able to:
- Eliminate $0.19 per gallon waste coolant shipping costs
- Process and recycle over 2,000,000 gallons of waste coolant
- Recycle 1,800 gallons of used oil
- Discharge water under a wastewater permit without additional treatment
The MVRE is the only machine of its kind capable of treating waste coolant to a point where it can be recycled back into make-up coolant or discharged under a wastewater permit without additional treatment.
These changes made a big impact:
- Our client was able to save over $340,000 per year in shipping costs.
- The MVRE paid for itself in just 12-month (the client requires projects to have a 36-month payback).
- They lessened their environmental impact through recycling.
Our customer is a Fortune 50 company and leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. With more than $89 billion in assets, our customer is ranked number one in its industry.